With so much to choose from, it’s hard to sit down and pick one Netflix series that’s worth watching. Not to worry! Hopefully Part-Time Characters can help with any indecisiveness. While Maria works the solo shift in this fictional video store, recurring guest and video store client, Jerry Rodriguez, joins this week’s episode to talk about Netflix shows and specials that are worth a try.
We start off with a brand new Netflix Original, Godzilla, a computer animated film about humanity reconquering planet Earth from the kaijus. After some lukewarm feelings about Part I from the series, we move on to Dave Chappelle’s latest special, Equanimity & The Bird Revelation. We discuss our unanimous love for GLOW and then spent way too much time on the German Sci-fi series Dark (be warned: full on spoilers with this one).
Jerry tried a few shows he had never seen before like Chewing Gum and The Good Place. He enjoyed only one out of those. Then I finish off the episode by talking about the latest season of Black Mirror and my new favorite animated series, Big Mouth.
Question of the Week: What are your current favorite Netflix Shows?
00:02:44 Godzilla: Planet of Monsters
00:12:41 Dave Chappelle: Equanimity & The Bird Revelation
00:52:05 Chewing Gum
01:12:48 Black Mirror
01:17:41 Big Mouth
✉ SAY HELLO AND SUBSCRIBE!
We love when you become part of our little community and leave us comments. Here are a few ways you can do that and support us:
- Subcribe: If you want to hear our episodes as soon as they come out, you can subscribe to us on iTunes. We are also on Google Play, Stitcher and Omny.FM
- Leave us a review: If you are an iTunes kind of person, it would really help us if you leave a review on our podcast. It only takes a couple of minutes and it would really help us reach more movie fans.
- Follow us on Twitter: Follow @PTCharacters to get our updates and to leave us additional comments about the episodes.
- Send us an e-mail: If you want to leave us a longer comment about an older episode or anything else you’d like to talk to us about, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This week’s cast: Maria Garcia and Jerry Rodriguez
Music: Great Days by Joakim Karud
5 thoughts on “Netflix Shows Worth Watching: Part-Time Characters”
I don’t think I’ve seen a single show that you recommended. Although I haven’t seen a lot of shows. I haven’t seen any Netflix original shows, but I’ve seen a few shows on Netflix. Arrowverse TV shows are pretty good, and so is Gotham.
I’m watching Bates Motel now. That is the BEST show I’ve watched besides The Americans and Game of Thrones. I can’t believe you didn’t mention Bates Motel.
So glad someone’s talking about Dark. When I watched it back in December, I was blown away. Dark is one of the best TV shows I’ve seen. (I checked the list of TV shows I’ve watched just to be sure.) I need to watch it a few more times. I love how they weave the genres of supernatural and hard science fiction. I will admit that the narrative does not hold the audience’s hand at all—it’s sink or swim—but it’s totally worth it. They just throw in alchemical, physics, and literary terms and references and expect you to roll with it. Like the inclusion of the Emerald Tablet, an important alchemical text in the Hermetical tradition, as a certain character’s tattoo, and in the sixth episode’s title—”Sic Mundus Creatus Est”—”thus the world was created.” My favorite part of the show was (*not a spoiler*) when the performance of the Shakespeare play corresponded with the actions of the characters. I hope the writers can continue the good streak they have going and eventually give it a good conclusion.
I watched Castlevania back when it came out last summer, and I enjoyed it. Definitely one of the best video game adaptations I’ve watched. There are some things it could have done better, like not separating it up into episodes and leaving it as the movie they originally intended, but the series shows great promise. I thought the series was going to follow Dracula at first, but the other characters aren’t bad. I was a bit offput in the beginning by how the show portrayed religious characters, but they addressed that in my favorite part in the series: (*mild spoiler, I guess*) in the fourth episode where the bishop was confronted by the demons in the church—”You cannot enter the house of God.””God is not here.”—the exchange shows the falsity of the bishop’s “religion” not by denying the existence of God, but by showing the godlessness of the bishop’s actions.
I’ve been watching a number of Netflix Original series, including Dark (which I’ve already talked about), Devilman: Crybaby, Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 4, Little Witch Academia, and I just started The End of the F***ing World.
– Devilman: Crybaby was an over-the-top acid trip. I can’t say I recommend it: though it had some interesting themes, the amount of violent and sexual content was too ridiculously high. One thing’s for sure, Masaaki Yuasa is an auteur, but I’d watch The Tatami Galaxy every time over Devilman: Crybaby.
– Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 4 has some good parts, but is nowhere near as good as the first two seasons.
– The TV version of Little Witch Academia just hasn’t grabbed me like the short film and follow-up feature film did. I mean it’s fine, but sometimes I feel like I’m watching it just to finish it.
– The jury’s still out on The End of the F***ing World. A lot of the humor’s not working for me.
I’ve also watched some Netflix Original films recently: Mudbound (a bit too slow and heavy for me), Before I Wake (meh), Little Evil (a good comedy, but not as good as the director’s other movie, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil), and The Open House (good acting and setup, but abysmal writing in the second and third act that pretty much ruins the movie).
Just finished The End of the F***ing World. It got better as the characters changed and they became more likeable, but I still don’t know what to think about that ending. Going to have read the comic now.
I’ll read your comments more frequently, I swear. If you have any free time, join me in playing [five nights at freddy’s](https://fivenightsatfreddys3.com) because I’ve never done so.