2017 is over, but we’re just getting started. I’m not usually the biggest fan of conversations over general rankings (my yearly power rankings aside), but I do find them most useful years later, when I’m trying to remember what I thought of the filmgoing landscape with some perspective. That’s why I do rankings, period, and it’s triple effective when I get to hear Top 10s from my Cinemaholics cohosts.
Our lists do feature some expected overlap, including a clear Cinemaholics “winner,” if you want to call it that. Turns out Brigsby Bear had the most collective impact on me, Will Ashton, and Maveryke Hines, and hopefully some of you awesome listeners.
Enjoy the episode, and if you just can’t wait, here are our Top 10 lists written out below.
Will Ashton’s Top 10 of 2017:
1. Brigsby Bear
2. The Shape of Water
4. Lady Bird
5. The Florida Project
6. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
8. I Don’t Feel at Home in this World Anymore
9. Good Time
10. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Jon Negroni’s Top 10 of 2017:
1. Baby Driver
2. Bad Genius
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. The Florida Project
5. Brigsby Bear
7. Lady Bird
8. The Shape of Water
9. The Big Sick
10. Call Me By Your Name
Maveryke Hines’s Top 10 of 2017:
1. Good Time
2. Brigsby Bear
3. Baby Driver
4. Lady Macbeth
5. The Florida Project
6. The Big Sick
7. Blade Runner 2049
8. John Wick: Chapter 2
9. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
10. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
(Bonus) Matt Donato’s Top 10 of 2017:
1. Lady Bird
2. Call Me By Your Name
5. I, Tonya
6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
8. Free Fire
10. The Disaster Artist
As most of you already know, our show is only possible because so many of you are spreading the word and sharing episodes with friends. We’re truly humbled by your emails, comments, and genuine interest in allowing Cinemaholics to continue. Thanks, all.
If you’re interested in continuing to help us out, there are three easy, painless ways to do so:
- Email us! Tell us what you love and hate about the show by emailing cinemaholicspodcast(at)gmail.com. And please ask us questions we can share over the air.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Yes, yes, I know it’s a hassle, but doing this ensures that our podcast stays afloat as we pay our bills and bring on new guests. For those of you who’ve already done this, thanks again for taking the time.
- Join our Facebook community. We’re steadily growing and finding new ways to talk to you all, and it’s great to find listeners from YouTube and podcasts mingling in the same group. Thanks again to all of you who’ve liked the page already.